Categories: People, History

Share

Karl Kastl II - Karl Kastl III Binky Buzzard

On June 9, 2024, Karl Kastl Jr., born in Vienna, Austria, who created a home and legacy in Hinckley, OH, left this earth to be with the Lord at the age of seventy-nine. Loving father to his children Chanda Joy, Elizabeth Csank (David), Karl Kastl III, Victoria Klippel (Russell). Loving grandfather to Jason Csank, Nathan Csank, Jacob Kastl, Tyler Kastl (Miranda Sampson), Matthew Kastl, and Izaak Klippel. Son of the late Karl and Helene Kastl.

Karl came to the United States on July 4 at the age of 12.

When he arrived, he thought the fireworks were for his appearance. Although he was not fluent in English, he learned the language in his first summer.

Karl was Art Director at American Greetings when he purchased property in the heart of Hinckley Township. He began building his masterpiece, his home, in 1975. His time, hard work and dedication at his home was a source of pride and many called it a “wonderland” with magnificent gardens, waterfalls, pavilion and beach beside the man-made lake.

Karl took a new role as Art Director with a German company called Card Tec in which his fluent German was utilized.

“Binky the Buzzard”

Karl so loved his town, that is recognized with the return of the buzzards each March, that he designed the now infamous “Binky the Buzzard” which has graced the cover of the Hinckley Record every March since 1981, with a new design and saying that was significant to current events. His son, Karl Kastl III, purchased a historic building on the corner of Route 303 and Ridge Road which he named Binky Commons to honor and recognize his father’s contributions to the small town of Hinckley.

Doting husband to Cheryl who he cared for through her struggle with health for ten years, Karl was the epitome of a family man. He lived and worked for his children and grandchildren often writing them poems with messages of appreciation, support and love. Karl loved big, was a hero to his family, and he died peacefully surrounded by his family.

SOURCE: Legacy.com

STAY IN THE LOOP

Subscribe to our free newsletter.

Related Posts

  • Hinckley Grange was the town’s center of social activity. Hinckley Grange was organized on March 3, 1890 with 65 members and had remained active until the late 1990’s. First meetings were held in the Town Hall. The first official Grange Hall was the old Dunham Foundry building. From 1913 to 1919, a store was operated […]

  • Ninety-six boys from Hinckley fought in the Civil War. From Judge Webber’s book: “Hinckley was divided into two military districts, constituting all east of the road running north and south through the nominal center of the township into one district to be called Military District No. 1; and all west of said road into another […]

  • Hinckley Underground Railroad history revolves around Hiram Miller. Every township in the North, prior to the Civil war, had among its inhabitants those who at heart were anti-slavery. Fear of persecution and ostracism at the hands of of pro-slavery proponents kept them from speaking out. However, at least two brave souls in Hinckley raised their […]