Categories: History, Places

Share

Hinckley Grange Store - Hinckley Ohio Historical Society

Hinckley Grange was the town’s center of social activity.

Hinckley Grange was organized on March 3, 1890 with 65 members and had remained active until the late 1990’s.

First meetings were held in the Town Hall. The first official Grange Hall was the old Dunham Foundry building.

From 1913 to 1919, a store was operated in the hall for Grange members, similar to a co-op. Samuel and Jennie Rupert operated the store. Groceries were purchased from Montgomery Ward & Co. Business grew and operations were moved to the R.D. Riley store on Ridge Road at the Center.

The Grange was the center of the town’s social activities for many years. It sponsored suppers, entered local and state contests, and allowed the use of its building for various community activities. The Grange sponsored Farmers Institutes whose members met to discuss the do’s and don’ts of farming. The group also supported scouting.

In 1962, when the State Highway Department began to straighten Route 303, the old Grange Hall was dismantled and moved to West Salem.

The remaining Grange members still met in private homes or in the Town Hall. They continued their fundraising and philanthropic projects with the interest from the land and building sales.

When the Grange was disbanded in 1996, the monies were disbursed among various organizations in town. It should be noted that during their most productive years, they were judged by the state as Champion and Honor Grange.

STAY IN THE LOOP

Subscribe to our free newsletter.

Related Posts

  • Ray Charlton was in that cave from the first to the last. Tom Namoski, despite a sore throat, took up a post there. Denny Selzer and Bob Whitehead came out shaking with fatigue and cramps – several times. Assistant Chief Walt Nawalaniec, in his paint splattered clothes, never left the scene. Bob Chodera, Don Grimm, […]

  • While all this was going on, Pat VanDeusen, Peg Bailey, Eleanor Zgrabik, Ruth Chodera and Theresa Mentzer setuup “housekeeping” on a knoll adjacent to the cave. Coffee and sandwiches, the ingredients of which were supplied by Costa’s Corners, Bowman’s and Bailey’s Custard Stand, were supplied to one and all. Hazel Brown spent the night “ferrying” […]

  • Well, you have read and heard and seen all of the stories about Wildcat Cave. Up until October 6th, we had never heard that it had a name. It does now. Hinckley is well known, too. Morris get stuck in a crack between the caves At approximately 11:30 a.m., October 5th, 1965, fifteen year old […]

  • This bored boys bank caper happened back before internet, 24/7 cable programming, Tik Tok, and caller ID around the mid 1960’s. Idle summer days without school’s discipline nor helicopter parent supervision, two teenaged boys hatched an adventurous plan to rob Hinckley’s Old Phoenix bank, now Coco Café, which shared the building with the Post Office. […]