Categories: History

Share

Civil War Hinckley Veterans Memorial Park - Hinckley Ohio Historical Society

Ninety-six boys from Hinckley fought in the Civil War.

From Judge Webber’s book: “Hinckley was divided into two military districts, constituting all east of the road running north and south through the nominal center of the township into one district to be called Military District No. 1; and all west of said road into another district to be called Military District No. 2, April 15, 1865.”

H.D. Worden Hinckley Civil War - Hinckley Ohio Historical SocietyThe trustees met and made a levy of eight mills on the dollar of the taxable property of the Township for a bounty to volunteers.

There were 16 casualties. These names were inscribed on the Veterans Monument in Hinckley Center for Memorial Day 2000.

STAY IN THE LOOP

Subscribe to our free newsletter.

Related Posts

  • This bored boys bank caper happened back before internet, 24/7 cable programming, Tik Tok, and caller ID around the mid 1960’s. Idle summer days without school’s discipline nor helicopter parent supervision, two teenaged boys hatched an adventurous plan to rob Hinckley’s Old Phoenix bank, now Coco Café, which shared the building with the Post Office. […]

  • The Robert Whipp trial was a scandalous tale. At age 15, Robert Whipp inherited a prosperous sheep business from his father and proceeded to make it even more profitable. Misfortune nearly wiped him out when disease struck his large flock, and he finally sold off everything and decided to emigrate to Australia. By 21 years […]

  • 1891 – When William McKinley was running for Governor of Ohio, he visited Hinckley. A group of men on horseback rode to greet the future President of the United States as he journeyed from Medina to campaign in Hinckley. McKinley stayed overnight in rooms above what is now Stefanec’s Barber Shop in Binky Commons.

  • Hinckley Grange was the town’s center of social activity. Hinckley Grange was organized on March 3, 1890 with 65 members and had remained active until the late 1990’s. First meetings were held in the Town Hall. The first official Grange Hall was the old Dunham Foundry building. From 1913 to 1919, a store was operated […]